- Prayer is the key on the bending knee
To open the morn’s first hours;
See the incense rise to the starry skies,
Like perfume from the flow’rs.
- Not a soul so sad, nor a heart so glad,
When cometh the shades of night,
But the daybreak song will the joy prolong,
And darkness turn to light.
- Take the golden key in your hand and see,
As the night tide drifts away,
How its blessed hold is a crown of gold,
Through the weary hours of day.
- When the shadows fall, and the vesper call
Is sobbing its low refrain,
’Tis a garland sweet to the toil-worn feet,
And a healing touch for pain.
- Soon the year’s dark door shall be shut no more;
Life’s tears shall be wiped away
As the pearl gates swing and the gold harps ring,
Ush’ring in eternal day.