- O little town of Bethlehem, how
still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars
Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in
- For Christ is born of Mary, and gathered all
While mortals sleep, the angels keep their watch of
O morning stars, together proclaim the holy birth,
And praises sing to God the King, and peace to men
- How silently, how silently, the wondrous Gift
So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His
No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of
Where meek souls will receive Him still, the dear
Christ enters in.
- Where children pure and happy pray to the
Where misery cries out to Thee, Son of the mother
Where charity stands watching and faith holds wide
The dark night wakes, the glory breaks, and
Christmas comes once more.
- O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us
We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings
Oh, come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel!