1. I Saw The Jewish Temple Purged |
While men of business, not of prayer
Fled from the place, by terror urged
Jesus the Nazarene was there.
2. I saw the solemn fun'ral train,
The widowed mother's silent tear;
When lo! she clasp her son again
The Nazarene had touched his bier.
3. "Hadst thou been here he had not died."
The weeping, doubting sister said,
"Lazarus, come forth!" the Savior cried;
The Nazarene restored their dead.
4. I saw the crowds to fury giv'n;
What could such mortal madness mean?
Why imprecate the wrath of Heav'n?
Why crucify the Nazarene?
5. Silent the gentle sufferer stood,
And pitying heard the frenzied cry;
"On us and ours be all his blood "
Jesus the Nazarene must die.
6. How devils smiled when Jesus bled!
Vain hope; they thought mankind were lost,
When bowing low His gentle head,
The Nazarene gave us the ghost.
7. But when amazement reigned in hell,
When Jesus, bursting from the grave,
Bade to the world this myst'ry tell;
'The Nazarene has died to save."
8. I saw the world consumed in flame;
The just from sin and sorrow free;
The wicked sink in endless shame
Such was the Nazarene decree.
9. I heard the trumpet long and loud;
Then straight a godlike form was seen;
He rode enthroned upon a cloud
'Twas the despised Nazarene.
10. I heard the happy heav'nly throng
Praise Him who bought them with His blood;
I heard the everlasting song;
"Jesus the Nazarene is God."