|1. O blessed day when
first was poured
The blood of our redeeming Lord!
O blessed day when Christ began
His saving work for sinful man!
2. While from His mother's bosom fed,
His precious blood He wills to shed;
A foretaste of His death He feels,
An earnest of His love reveals.
3. Scarce come to earth, His Father's will
With prompt obedience to fulfil,
A victim even now He lies
Before the day of sacrifice.
4. In love our guilt He undertakes;
Sinless, for sin atonement makes.
The great Lawgiver for our aid
Obedient to the Law is made.
5. Lord, circumcise our heart, we pray,
And take what is not Thine away.
Write Thine own name upon our hearts,
Thy Law within our inward parts.
6. O Lord, the Virgin-born, to Thee
Eternal praise and glory be,
Whom with the Father we adore
And Holy Ghost forevermore.